Friday, November 21, 2008

to agent or not agent

Well, I've done it. I contacted an agent, and now I've got my fingers crossed.

A friend asked why I wanted an agent because of my publication history, but the truth is, while I can produce what I think are good stories with suspense and tension, I'm not expert in determining which publishers need what.

Since retiring, I've had more time. Consequently, I can produce more, but that doesn't do me much good if what I turn out simply sits in my computer.

A point I always make in my writing classes is that you have to promote your own work. I've written about my new books in my weekly columns in the papers here in Southeast Texas, done a few TV interviews (which always makes me nervous), a few book signings. I have friends who love book signings. They're hard for me, sitting there with people staring a me. I'd rather be home writing.

I know an agent cannot do the work for you or make a publisher take your book; but it is comforting to know that if I do a good job, someone out there is expert enough to know what to do with it.

I'll keep you posted.

Keep writing.

1 comment:

Jessica Ferguson said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Kent. Boy! if I was an agent I'd grab you fast. Someone who can produce as fast as you can should be an agent's dream. But then, agents and publishers don't seem to move as fast as writers do. Keep that in mind when you do get snatched up by one. It might turn out to be your biggest frustration.

Have a great Thanksgiving! enjoy your family. Take a break from writing! :)